Saturday 12 July 2014

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay by Gayle Forman will easily be the next great YA page-to-screen adaption. It will have you reaching for the tissues and will have you desperate to talk to others about this book. It is a beautiful story about life and death, about family, love, and about making a seemingly impossible choice. 

Summary: In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, this will change the way you look at life, love, and family. Now a major motion picture starring Chloe Grace Moretz, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

I’m giving this novel 5 stars. I loved it, and I have nothing bad to say about If I Stay. Gayle Forman is incredibly talented writer, crafting a story that is both moving and memorable. It is impossible not to think about the burden of Mia’s choice, and to consider whether or not you would be strong enough to choose. It is a terrible tragedy to think about, but as Forman points out, there is always hope and happiness to be found in life. You just have to be brave enough to want it. Dying is easy—life is hard. 

The story is told in alternating flashbacks in Mia’s life with her family, friends, and her boyfriend. It’s impossible not to lose yourself in the ups and downs of life and to recognize your own problems and worries in Mia’s life before the crash. For a novel that is about choosing to live or die, If I Stay is a surprisingly balanced read. This is an emotional read, but you don’t spend the novel fighting back tears. It’s about far more than the tragedy of the choice. 

Aimed at readers 14 & up, If I Stay is officially one of my favourite YA novels. Unfortunately, it is difficult to put down, which may result in reading this book in public places—which means awkwardly crying on public transit through the final pages of the book. Luckily I had sunglasses on me. Add If I Stay by Gayle Forman to the top of your to-read pile. The movie will be out August 22nd, and you can watch the trailer below! 

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment