Saturday 20 September 2014

Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Where She Went is the sequel to Gayle Forman's touching YA novel, If I Stay. I'll admit I was hesitant to read the sequel. What if it ruined everything I loved about If I Stay? How could the story even go on? But I'm so glad I finally decided to give it a chance. But Gayle Forman has written something beautiful to follow up to Mia and Adam's story; something that every teen who has ever felt pain and heartbreak and loss will be able to appreciate. And those who haven't will still feel the power of this tearjerker. 

Summary: Picking up several years after the dramatic conclusion of If I Stay, Where She Went continues the story of Adam and Mia, from Adam's point of view. Ever since Mia's decision to stay - but not with him - Adam's career has been on a wonderful trajectory. His album, borne from the anguish and pain of their breakup, has made him a bona fide star. And Mia herself has become a top-rate cellist, playing in some of the finest venues in the world. When their respective paths put them both in New York City at the same time, the result is a single night in which the two reunite - with wholly satisfying results.

This is a novel about fate and of what's meant to be. It's a story about loss, learning to cope, moving on and, of course, of true love. Adam and Mia's story does end with this novel and you won't be disappointed. In fact, you'll be hooked on every word as Adam and Mia are unexpectedly reunited in a moment of fate and are given a second chance to fix the massive rift between them.

Teachers and educators: Where She Went contains several content warnings including: swearing, sexual situations, and mature content. Before adding this novel to your classroom, you should be aware of the darker subject matter than that of If I Stay. However, the content is handled with purpose and care. Adam's fallout after the accident allows readers to explore tough issues such as psychological trauma, depression, unhealthy relationships, and anxiety.

Gayle Forman is an incredibly talented author. Her duet of novels are unforgettable and will resonate with teen readers everywhere. I loved both of these books and consider this YA series to be one of the best available to teen readers today. 

4 Stars

You can check out my review of If I Stay by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment